Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Somebody call Aretha!  I need some R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!


Let me start by noting that I just re-read my last post and I stated in there that I would write more often.  Yikes!  That was almost 3 months ago!  Wow!  Time sure does move fast and life has a tendency to fly by without us even realizing it.

So this past weekend I was left to deal with some feelings of frustration and anger (yes, I admit it) when I was confronted with the fact that when friends of my kids seem to disrespect either my wife or me (not to mention our home or our possessions), our kids either don't notice it or aren't willing to step up and set their friends straight.  Why is this?  Well, like I usually do, I took the events personally and stewed on them for some time before approaching my kids to find out what went on.

Case #1: One of my kids had a friend over to our house to spend the night.  They had fun, they're both great kids, and I'm happy for that.  They DID, however, completely destroy a previously clean bedroom and also leave several items strewn on the lawn outside (including 2 empty plastic bottles) that I had to clean up before I mowed.  This irked me because the trash can on the side of the house was a mere 30 second dash from the scene of the crime.  What's the big deal?  Well, why not say to "friend" when you see them litter (and this applies to my kid too) "Hey!  Lets put these in the trash can over there so my Dad doesn't run over them and ruin his expensive lawn mower!"  Doesn't seem that out of the question to me!

Case #2:  One of our kids was going to the movies with a friend and my wife drove the child to the theater where the friend and his parents were waiting.  Apparently the Hooies arrived at a bad scene because when my wife tried to greet them she was given the silent treatment and a general cold shoulder.  More than one time!  Now, according to my child, this friend was angry at his parents and it had nothing to do with "mom".  Well, how are we supposed to know that?  What happened to good manners and putting on a "happy" face?  If you want to go to the movies that bad with your friend, at least your friend could be grateful when we drive you down there and attempt to make conversation with you?  Doesn't seem that out of the question to me!

In the midst of my stewing over this, I took some time to think back on my own actions as a youngster and wondered how many times I inadvertently disrespected my parents or everything they've done for me.  It's so easy to do I guess because we're so close to the situations at the time we don't see the forest for the trees!  This presents itself in so many ways, the more I sit and think about it, the longer this blog is going to be! LOL

Take chores for example!  DO THEM!  Not only are you pulling your weight around the house, you GET PAID WHEN YOU DO THEM!  If you go to throw out something and kitchen trash is full, take it out and replace the bag!  Don't just pile the trash next to the can like it will just get soaked up in the "trash collective" somehow.  Keep your room clean!  Everything you have is a GIFT from someone who didn't have to give it to you!  Take care of it!  Show some appreciation!  Pick your dang clothes up off the floor and put them in a hamper!  Does it really take that much effort to put clothes someplace so the rest of the world doesn't have to see what kind of underwear you wear?!?  That's why it's called UNDERwear!  Come on!

I'm sorry, this blog ended up as more of a tirade and a place for me to vent without being very constructive.  I promise to do better next time (and not wait 3 months)!

Take care,

David

No comments:

Post a Comment